Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Joe Brenner <doom(at)kzsu(dot)stanford(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?
Date: 2000-08-22 03:51:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> I don't think so ... we changed the name 4+ years ago, and, quite frankly,
> have worked for 4+ years at building an identity around that ... ppl know
> what PostgreSQL is, and what it represents ... could you imagine someone
> changing Apache, or Linux, or Oracle? I really don't see what is so hard
> about pronouncing Post-Gres-QL ... *shrug*

The name is certainly ugly, but it's got history behind it: it gives
appropriate credit to those who went before us. (Don't forget that
the roots of this project go back twenty-odd years.) There's unlikely
to be much support around here for changing the name, no matter what
alternative is offered.

FWIW, I say "post-gres-cue-ell", same as Marc.