Re: Implementing an Index Access Method in PG 8.4

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Carsten Kropf <ckropf2(at)fh-hof(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Implementing an Index Access Method in PG 8.4
Date: 2010-02-23 10:21:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Carsten Kropf <ckropf2(at)fh-hof(dot)de> wrote:
> I have a question according to the implementation of a new index access method in Postgres. Is it necessary to implement a new resource manager for XLog when I am trying to achieve a stable new index access method?

It's not currently possible to register a new recovery manager for a
module built outside the Postgres source tree. What's happened in the
past is new index methods weren't recoverable (after a database crash
indexes had to be rebuilt) but when they were integrated into the
Postgres source tree adding recoverability was a major piece of that
integration.

There's been some talk about allowing modules to register new recovery
managers but in the past it gets stuck on where to store information
about the recovery manager since the database tables aren't available.
And on how to guarantee that the backup database and the original
database have the same idea of which recovery manager is which.

--
greg