Limits of backwards compatibility for psql's \d commands

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Limits of backwards compatibility for psql's \d commands
Date: 2008-07-02 02:33:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm fooling around with Guillaume Lelarge's patch to make psql's \d
commands work with older server versions. The patch as submitted
works with servers back to 7.4 (modulo a small bug or two). I tried
to see what it'd take to make it work with 7.3. I count about a dozen
trivial diffs and about three nontrivial ones --- nontrivial meaning
I didn't see a simple fix right away. This seems a bit more work than
is justified for a server version that the community has officially
dropped support for, but I wonder if anyone feels hot about it?

Pre-7.3 server versions seem entirely out of the realm of reason because
they lack schema support, meaning all of those "pg_catalog." prefixes
break, not to mention the joins to pg_namespace and the "schema" output
columns. So it's just 7.3 that's worth debating, I think.