Re: Compilation problems

From: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: Diego <diegoman(at)usuarios(dot)retecal(dot)es>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compilation problems
Date: 2004-03-21 22:14:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

Diego wrote:

>Sorry, I forgot to answer this question, but I wrote it on my first message
>here ;) My first attempt was on a Debian Woody, but because I couldn't
>compile there and I had an old Postgresql version (7.1.something), I tried
>it on a Mandrake 9.1 that I have on my secondary disk with Postgresql 7.4. I
>got the same "undefined reference" errors on both. Finally I got it compiled
>on Mandrake, using your patch.

Ok, so you needed it for Debian Woody and/or Mandrake.
Concerning woody, we provide packages for it, why not simply using them ?
If you need a more up to date PostgreSQL for woody, Oliver Elphick who
is responsible of PostgreSQL for Debian provides its own backports:
http://people.debian.org/~elphick/
pgAdmin3 has just entered Debian (see
http://packages.debian.org/pgadmin3) and I'll backport this particular
version for woody asap: except for the postgresql dependencies, it
should be a simple rebuild of the source package with dpkg-buildpackage.

Concerning Mandrake 9.1, packages are also provided.

Is there a particular reason except personnal willing to learn which
pushed you not using the packages ? I ask this because this is to me
interesting to know why people don't use provided packages: it can
figure out a bad communication from our side, or simply badly packaged
things or documentation.

>>We stay in touch, it may be a good thing that you send your
>>config.log.gz to pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
>>

>Ok, I'll send the log and a description of my problems.

Thanks.

Regards,
Raphaël