Re: creating index on changed field type

From: David Smith <gegez-pgh(at)instytut(dot)com(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: creating index on changed field type
Date: 2004-03-11 18:54:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Użytkownik Tom Lane napisał:

> David Smith <gegez-pgh(at)instytut(dot)com(dot)pl> writes:
>
>>Should I forget about btrees and move to GIST,
>

> Yes. There's no provision in the btree code for an index storage type
> different from the column datatype.
>
> regards, tom lane

Thank You for reply.
Let us suppose, the we retain type of field (column). But instead of
storing original value(key), we will store tokens(Instead 'this is my
first text', we would keep 5 tokens (5 different BTItems) respectively:
'this', 'is', 'my', 'first', 'text'). Will it work or is there any other
catch I can not see.

My performance tests resulted that GIST would be slower than original
btree index. Maybe I mistaken somehow...

Best regards,
David