Re: development questions

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: webmaster(at)letzplay(dot)de
Cc: dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: development questions
Date: 2004-02-14 19:15:17
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi!

Andreas Grabmüller wrote:
> When I saw Alexeys posts, I decided to not answer them - it's difficult for me to have an objective opinion as I simply don't like the way Alexey came in and said "everything you do sucks, what I do is the only right way you can do that". That makes me think "what the hell does that guy want from us?". However, let me try it.

You are unfair to yourself. While the code I inherited could use some
optimisations (and I did optimise some parts of it) I mostly had just to
refactor the existing code, it already worked OK.

> I have reviewed the code and it looks good - most of it seems to work, much of my code has been optimized.
>
> I can't say if this code is good or this code is bad. He did the changes he stated in his mail, and they seem to work and the code techincally looks good (at least better than mine). The question is, do we want to have this changes? I like the template usage and the new path format page.html.{ln}. I personally don't like the usage of gettext as for me this seems to be overhead - before we had a php file containing all variables, now we have several .po etc. files which have to be edited by special software (I think?). All this is just a question of the personal point of view.

Yes, it is the matter of taste. The benefit of having .po files instead of .php
files is (like I see it):
1) .po files are generated automatically and thus it is more difficult to have
the translations that are out of sync due to programmer error.
2) It is not difficult to edit the .po files. There is some special software,
but I just used the same PHPEdit to prepare the Russian translation, as if I was
editing the plain text files.