Re: Review of last summer's PITR patch

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-hackers-pitr(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Review of last summer's PITR patch
Date: 2004-02-13 04:29:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers-pitr

The big feature I am being pestered for is :

- hot backup that (subsequent) logs can be applied to during recovery

The patch in its current form provides this - which is excellent.

However, some "easyness" enhancements could be in order :

e.g :

- automatically archiving logs after a hot backup to <somewhere>
- some sort of ability to detect if the archived log sequence is
"broken" anywhere after the lastest hot backup.

I would like to see PITR as straightforward as possible to setup.
Backups that are actually unrestorable - because the Dba didn't
understand the product's convoluted "design" - are still way too
frequent AFAICS.

cheers

Mark