Re: Small complaint about bugreport item in help

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dean Peterson <lethargo(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Small complaint about bugreport item in help
Date: 2004-02-08 18:44:38
Lists: pgadmin-support

Dean Peterson wrote:

> Hi, when I chose Bugreport from the pgadmin3 Help menu, it took me to
> the bug reporting page in help. That's great, but the "Bug Reporting"
> page in the help links to web pages that the help program cannot
> display correctly. (e.g. no search functionality on the support
> mailing list).
>
> It would be nicer if the help browser would open external links in a
> dedicated web browser. If that is not possible, it would be nice to
> include the URL's for the links in the help text as well as the status
> bar, so they could be cut and pasted.
>
> Minor complaints, I know, but these things do discourage people from
> filing bug reports (and if they do, it discourages them from
> conscientiously checking for duplicates first.) In general, thanks
> for the great product, though.
>
> Dean
>
> P.S. I apologize if this should have gone in the documentation list.
> I wasn't sure who supported the help viewer for pgadmin.

You're all right here.
I suspect you're not on win-32, because we're already using *.chm help
format there which is able to perform searching the archives.
We're not planning to launch an external browser at the moment for help
purposes.

I changed that bugreport.html file so the BUGS.txt is shown as first
reference for known problems. Experience shows that users won't scan the
archives anyway....

Regards,
Andreas