Re: db security; user identification

From: Marcin Gil <marcin(dot)gil(at)audax(dot)com(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: db security; user identification
Date: 2004-01-28 08:14:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom Lane wrote:

> I concur with the suggestion to investigate local IDENT auth, though.
> If your system supports it, it's trustworthy and lots more
> convenient than forcing a password to be supplied all the time.

Could you please, suggest any further reading on IDENT topic?
I've found myself lacking knowlegde on that.

> Another possibility is to put the correct password into the postgres
> account's ~/.pgpass file. If you stick with md5 local auth you are
> going to end up doing that anyway, because it's the only reasonable
> way to handle authentication for batch jobs (think about backup and
> periodic vacuum tasks). I am not totally sure, but I think that
> would also fix the pg_ctl start problem without needing -w.

pg_ctl has two options:
-w : wait for the start or shutdown to complete
-W : do not wait for the start or shutdown to complete

So I guess its '-W' you are writing about?
I've attached my startup script.

Thanks
--
Marcin Gil :: marcin(dot)gil(at)audax(dot)com(dot)pl

Attachment Content-Type Size
rc.postgresql text/plain 1.1 KB