Re: Install or Bust - pgsql on Red Hat 9

From: Martin Atukunda <matlads(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Install or Bust - pgsql on Red Hat 9
Date: 2004-01-28 08:09:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 08:06, Phil Seretti wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm a virgin newbie to Linux and PostgreSQL but have very much experience
> in - (whispered) sssh, Windows.
>
> I have downloaded the Red Hat 9 errata corrected RPMs of pgsql - including
> the missing "odbc" package they left off the site (13 rpms in all).
>
> They seemed to unpack with no issues. Following Red Hat's PostgreSQL
> Configuration instructions, here is my terminal dialog;
>
> [root(at)localhost user]# postmaster -i > logfile 2>&1 &
> [1] 2884
> [root(at)localhost user]# createdb -h localhost -E UNICODE mydb
> bash: createdb: command not found
> [1]+ Exit 127 postmaster -i
> >logfile 2>&1

You shouldn't be able to start the postmaster as root. that is why it exists
with error status 127. you should start the postmaster as the postgres user.

the postgres user's environment (usually) has the correct path settings
defined so that commands like createdb can work.

- Martin -

--
"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
--Bill Clinton, President