Re: loading and unloading rows

From: Naomi Walker <nwalker(at)eldocomp(dot)com>
To: Bhuvan A <bhuvansql(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: loading and unloading rows
Date: 2002-11-01 23:57:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

>It is possible. Delimiters can be used while restoring the data file.
>Null string specification can also be specified. See,
>test_db=> \h COPY
>for more details.

The problem with COPY, I think, is that I cannot use a WHERE
statement. I'd like to just unload certain rows from a table. If I wanted
the whole table, i'll do a pg_dump or copy.

>In addition you should also do some find and replace in the data file
>before restoring it to another database. They are,
>s/\s*|\s*//g
>s/^\s*//g

Yes, sed is a fine tool, but this seems like such a fundamental need, i'm
surprised there is not better method.

Again, i'd like a way to easily unload some selected rows (select * table
where foo=X) from a table, and save them, or load them in another cluster,
etc. Short of writing them to a temp table, then pg_dumping, or some
klunk-oid mething, I do not see a clean way.

Back to the maddening crowd. Anyone at least agreed this is needed? Could
we add "where" clauses to COPY? That would be perfect.

Naomi Walker
Eldorado Computing, Inc
Chief Information Officer
nwalker(at)eldocomp(dot)com