Re: TAP tests and symlinks on Windows

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TAP tests and symlinks on Windows
Date: 2020-06-26 12:00:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-06-23 12:55, Michael Paquier wrote:
> I have implemented a patch based on the feedback received that does
> the following, tested with all three patterns (MSVC only on Windows):
> - Assume that all non-Windows platform have a proper symlink
> implementation for perl.
> - If on Windows, check for the presence of Win32::Symlink:
> -- If the module is not detected, skip the tests not supported.
> -- If the module is detected, run them.

We should be more accurate about things like this:

+# The following tests test symlinks. Windows may not have symlinks, so
+# skip there.

The issue isn't whether Windows has symlinks, since all versions of
Windows supported by PostgreSQL do (AFAIK). The issue is only whether
the Perl installation that runs the tests has symlink support. And that
is only necessary if the test itself wants to create or inspect
symlinks. For example, there are existing tests involving tablespaces
that work just fine on Windows.

Relatedly, your patch ends up skipping the tests on MSYS2, even though
Perl supports symlinks there out of the box.