Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization
Date: 2018-06-29 14:51:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I tried to attack the cost_sort() issues and hope on that basis we can solve
>> problems with 0002 patch and improve incremental sort patch.
>>

> OK, will do. Thanks for working on this!

I hope, now we have a better cost_sort(). The obvious way is a try all
combination of pathkeys in get_cheapest_group_keys_order() and choose cheapest
one by cost_sort(). But it requires N! operations and potentially could be very
expensive in case of large number of pathkeys and doesn't solve the issue with
user-knows-what-he-does pathkeys. We could suggest an order of pathkeys as patch
suggests now and if cost_sort() estimates cost is less than 80% (arbitrary
chosen) cost of user-suggested pathkeys then it use our else user pathkeys.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/