Re: documentation fix for SET ROLE

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation fix for SET ROLE
Date: 2021-03-12 14:35:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2021-03-12 at 10:16 +0100, I wrote:
> After sleeping on it, I have come to think that it is excessive to write
> so much documentation for a feature that is that unimportant.
>
> It takes some effort to come up with a good use case for it.
>
> I think we can add a few lines to ALTER ROLE, perhaps ALTER DATABASE
> (although I don't see what sense it could make to set that on the database level),
> and briefly explain the difference between RESET ROLE and SET ROLE NONE.
>
> I think adding too much detail will harm - anyone who needs to know the
> exact truth can resort to the implementation.
>
> I'll try to come up with a proposal later.

Attached is my idea of the documentation change.

I think that ALTER DATABASE ... SET ROLE can remain undocumented, because
I cannot imagine that it could be useful.

I am unsure if specifying "role" in a libpq connect string might be
worth documenting. Can you think of a use case?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Document-ALTER-ROLE-.-SET-ROLE.patch text/x-patch 4.5 KB