Re: documentation fix for SET ROLE

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation fix for SET ROLE
Date: 2021-03-12 09:16:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2021-03-11 at 22:30 +0000, Bossart, Nathan wrote:
> On 3/11/21, 12:11 PM, "David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > The minor bit of documentation pseudo-redundancy doesn’t bother me if I accept
> > they are there own separate thing. The fact that set role and set session
> > authorization are entirely distinct top-level commands in our documentation,
> > as opposed to bundled in with plain set, is a much more convincing example
> > for treating them uniquely and not just additional GUCs.
>
> I see your point. What do you think about something like the attached
> patch?

After sleeping on it, I have come to think that it is excessive to write
so much documentation for a feature that is that unimportant.

It takes some effort to come up with a good use case for it.

I think we can add a few lines to ALTER ROLE, perhaps ALTER DATABASE
(although I don't see what sense it could make to set that on the database level),
and briefly explain the difference between RESET ROLE and SET ROLE NONE.

I think adding too much detail will harm - anyone who needs to know the
exact truth can resort to the implementation.

I'll try to come up with a proposal later.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe