Re: documentation fix for SET ROLE

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation fix for SET ROLE
Date: 2021-03-12 14:45:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 7:35 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2021-03-12 at 10:16 +0100, I wrote:
> > After sleeping on it, I have come to think that it is excessive to write
> > so much documentation for a feature that is that unimportant.
> >
> > It takes some effort to come up with a good use case for it.
> >
> > I think we can add a few lines to ALTER ROLE, perhaps ALTER DATABASE
> > (although I don't see what sense it could make to set that on the
> database level),
> > and briefly explain the difference between RESET ROLE and SET ROLE NONE.
> >
> > I think adding too much detail will harm - anyone who needs to know the
> > exact truth can resort to the implementation.
> >
> > I'll try to come up with a proposal later.
>
> Attached is my idea of the documentation change.
>
> I think that ALTER DATABASE ... SET ROLE can remain undocumented, because
> I cannot imagine that it could be useful.
>
> I am unsure if specifying "role" in a libpq connect string might be
> worth documenting. Can you think of a use case?

Does our imagination really matter here? It works and is just as "useful"
as "ALTER ROLE" and so should be documented if we document ALTER ROLE.

I agree that ALTER DATABASE seems entirely useless and even
counter-productive...but I would still document if only because we document
ALTER ROLE and they should be kept similar.

Haven't formed an opinion on the merits of the two patches.

David J.