Re: IMPORTANT: A temporary list for Strategic

From: Bruno LEVEQUE <bruno(dot)leveque(at)net6d(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: A temporary list for Strategic
Date: 2004-01-09 23:23:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>

>>> 1. Yet none of you are marketers. You are developers.
>>>

>> Why do you say that? I think everyone on this list is interested in
>> marketing (or they would not be here), and all the people involved in
>> this thread have already done a fair share of work for that.
>>

> I think you are missing my point. You by trade (I believe) are a
> developer. I by trade am
> a Consultant. Ron (I think that was his name) by trade is a marketing
> guy. That does not
> mean that each person can not deliver valid information to the project
> but it does mean
> we all think and process a little different.
>
> Personally, I like to hack, but I do not like to progam. Thus I hire
> programmers to service
> my customers long term programming needs. I like to sell, but can't
> stand the sales process. Thus I have
> a salesman to handle that.

Yes marketing men are a bit different. They don't think like a developer
or a consultant.

Just a question :
If you do this temporary list, who decide of the contains of the work ?
Only the subscribers of this temporary list.
And none of the advocacy list (ie developer, consultant, syst eng, ...)
who do postgres ?
In this case developers cannot decide want they put in postgres only
marketing decides this.

I think everyone in advocacy list must see what the marketing think even
if it is not very easy to take only threads you want.

--
Bruno LEVEQUE
System Engineer