Re: sync process names between ps and pg_stat_activity

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sync process names between ps and pg_stat_activity
Date: 2017-09-18 06:07:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Peter Eisentraut
> The process names shown in pg_stat_activity.backend_type as of PG10
and
> the process names used in the ps display are in some cases
gratuitously
> different, so here is a patch to make them more alike. Of course it
> could be debated in some cases which spelling was better.

(1)
In the following comment, it's better to change "wal sender process"
to "walsender" to follow the modified name.

*
* To achieve that, we pass "wal sender process" as username and
username
* as dbname to init_ps_display(). XXX: should add a new variant
of
* init_ps_display() to avoid abusing the parameters like this.
*/

(2)
"WAL writer process" is used, not "walwriter", is used in postmaster.c
as follows. I guess this is for natural language. Is this intended?
I'm OK with either, though.

HandleChildCrash(pid, exitstatus,
_("WAL writer process"));

case WalWriterProcess:
ereport(LOG,
(errmsg("could not fork WAL writer process:
%m")));

Personally, I prefer "wal writer", "wal sender" and "wal receiver"
that separate words as other process names. But I don't mind leaving
them as they are now. I'd like to make this as ready for committer
when I get some reply.

Regards
MauMau