how to send scheduled email from PostgreSQL

From: hodges(at)xprt(dot)net
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: how to send scheduled email from PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-11-16 19:25:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am interested in having a PostgreSQL query run and some email
sent on an automatic basis. Doesnt seem like trigger does this
sort of thing and I didnt see any reference to sending email
in a couple PostgreSQL books.

My host system is Redhad 8, Apache, Postfix, PHP and Perl.
I could add another scripting language if needed. Shell
is bash.

A web search turned up a couple references from 2000 and
2001 like pqmail. Is there any thing more recent that is adpated
to current versions of php and PostgreSQL?

Thanks,
Tom