Re: how to send scheduled email from PostgreSQL

From: Daniel Staal <DStaal(at)usa(dot)net>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how to send scheduled email from PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-11-16 23:50:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

--As off Sunday, November 16, 2003 11:25 AM -0800, hodges(at)xprt(dot)net is
alleged to have said:

> I am interested in having a PostgreSQL query run and some email
> sent on an automatic basis. Doesnt seem like trigger does this
> sort of thing and I didnt see any reference to sending email
> in a couple PostgreSQL books.
>
> My host system is Redhad 8, Apache, Postfix, PHP and Perl.
> I could add another scripting language if needed. Shell
> is bash.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

I'd write a Perl script that runs the query and sends the email, then
set a cron job to run the script. Should be fairly simple, look at
CPAN for MAIL:: modules that you can use to help with sending the
email.

Daniel T. Staal

This email copyright the author. Unless otherwise noted, you
the contents for non-commercial purposes. This copyright will
local copyright law.