Re: CreateProcess vs Create Thread

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CreateProcess vs Create Thread
Date: 2003-11-13 18:04:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> O.k. there has been a lot of discussion in regards to what the best
> method to take with PostgreSQL Win32 is.
> It seems that the community is set on using CreateProcess. If this is
> the case I have a couple of further questions:
>
> 1. Are we just a bunch of Unix coders trying to develop a product for
> Win32 or are there any people a part
> of the Win32 port project that actually have REAL, hardcore experience
> coding at the system level for Win32?
> I am not trying to be an antagonist but I it is a legitamate question.

Speaking for myself I am a Unix coder and proud of it :-) I don't know
how many times I have said in my professional life "I don't do Windows".
That's why I chose to make my major contribution to the project the
porting of initdb to C - it had to be done (and it took me quite a few
hours) but it didn't require a deep level of understanding of Windows.

OTOH there is clearly a deeper level of understanding and experience
around than I have.

I think the answer is a mixture.

cheers

andrew