Re: CreateProcess vs Create Thread

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CreateProcess vs Create Thread
Date: 2003-11-13 17:42:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> O.k. there has been a lot of discussion in regards to what the best
> method to take with PostgreSQL Win32 is.
> It seems that the community is set on using CreateProcess. If this is
> the case I have a couple of further questions:
>
> 1. Are we just a bunch of Unix coders trying to develop a product for
> Win32 or are there any people a part
> of the Win32 port project that actually have REAL, hardcore experience
> coding at the system level for Win32?
> I am not trying to be an antagonist but I it is a legitimate question.

Not sure. We have a working Win32 port from PeerDirect, and I have one
from SRA, so we know it can be done whether we have hard-core guys or
not.

> 2. Have we built a test case? For example:
>
> We have a client that connects to a server. For every connection we
> start a new process and write 1k to disk from the client.
>
> Connect in varying degrees from 5 connection to say 500 connections.
>
> Do it with CreateProcess and the with CreateThread... Time the
> difference, and review the load on the server during the tests...
>
> What is the difference? Maybe it is nominal enough not to worry
> about it... Maybe it's not.

I certainly would like to see that test with a skelaton C program.

You can use PeerDirect's beta version for the CreateProcess test.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us