Re: pgadmin3 debian package proposal

From: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
Subject: Re: pgadmin3 debian package proposal
Date: 2003-10-26 14:26:22
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Andreas Pflug wrote:

>> Side by side. Mmmm, if we're talking side by side right back to CVS,
>> we really ought to be sure we want to do this. Basically we'd be
>> committing to maintaining our own wx fork indefinately. Moving back
>> to the standard distro might not be so easy in the future...
>>

> No, I don't want it put into cvs, except for some custom makefiles
> maybe. We should stay with the current way of syncing our snapshot
> with wx from time to time, hoping for an age where we can get back to
> vanilla wx.

I agree with this.

>> That said, a single build system really would be nice.
>
> If we have wx in a subdirectory of our source tree top side by side to
> src, the make process can do it in a single build. In this case, we
> wouldn't need to have wx installed, thus minimizing the chance of
> interference with an official wx package.

What I was imaginating was to find a proper way to put, for example, the
.tar.bz2 of "our" wx source in a specific place and to have a "magic"
configure (for example) option which could handle the fact that the wx
to link against is situated in the source tree. I don't want to get the
wx source always in pgadmin3 source tree, think it has nothing to do
here and I don't want that we loose cpu time to build wx snap every day
when building snapshots... By the way, it may not be a good idea to
"waste" a lot of time to get the configure/makefiles modified to get a
single build process. May be we could just try to have the proper way of
launching each configure / make commands and to document it well so that
all packagers can publish spec, rules or whatever is appropriate to each
disto. It may than be easier to backout to a dynamic build against
official wx when they will be ready.

Another thing, may be we should not borrow Michael with these discuss
anymore ? He had the good idea and may not want to receive all our
thought about it (?) :)

I'll send back to you my build process as soon as it will be ok (hope it
will be ok one day) (depends on my free time).

regards,
Raphaël