Re: Attempt at work around of int4 query won't touch int8 index ...

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Attempt at work around of int4 query won't touch int8 index ...
Date: 2003-09-15 07:42:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 10 Sep 2003 at 22:44, Tom Lane wrote:

> James Robinson <jlrobins(at)socialserve(dot)com> writes:
> > Is this just a dead end, or is there some variation of this that might
> > possibly work, so that ultimately an undoctored literal number, when
> > applied to an int8 column, could find an index?
>
> I think it's a dead end. What I was playing with this afternoon was
> removing the int8-and-int4 comparison operators from pg_operator.
> It works as far as making "int8col = 42" do the right thing, but I'm
> not sure yet about side-effects.

Is it possible to follow data type upgrade model in planner? Something like in
C/C++ where data types are promoted upwards to find out better plan?

int2->int4->int8->float4->float8 types.

That could be a clean solution..

just a thought..

Bye
Shridhar

--
Hlade's Law: If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person -- they
will find an easier way to do it.