Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?
Date: 2003-09-03 18:37:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>We have avoided doing dns lookups from pg_hba.conf, and hence the use of
>127.0.0.1 instead of localhost. Now that we cache pg_hba.conf, we could
>consider allowing hostnames in pg_hba.conf. Is that a TODO?

Hm. DNS lookup would make postmaster startup last much longer, to have
all addresses resolved. Usually installations will have only some
well-known non-volatile networks configured, So I'd opt to not use DNS.

>As for the IPv6 issue --- how prevalent is this problem. What OS
>versions are affected? Has the user done something special to enable
>this?

I can't remember to have opted for a IPV6 installation, so I believe my
SuSE 8.1installs IPV6 by default now (and 8.2 too). Then I worked quite
a while with 7.3 as usual, and was quite surprised about that IPV6 stuff
when upgrading to 7.4.
This will probably be an issue more and more, when machines get IPV6
enabled (if by mistake, on purpose or default). The proposed patch will
handle IPV4 clients as usual.

Regards,
Andreas