Re: Buglist

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: postgres general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Buglist
Date: 2003-08-19 12:31:33
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 19 Aug 2003 at 13:32, Bo Lorentsen wrote:

> Hi ...
>
> I'm trying to convince my boss to use posgresql (I need RI, transactions
> and views), but he keeps comparing the project to mysql. Until now, I
> found the answers to he's questions on the www.postgresql.org page, but
> now I'm lost :-)
>
> Where do I find a list of bugs both found and solved, or will I need to
> ask on the pgsql-bugs list to know the answer ?

Well, you could look at release notes. That contains lot of information. Of
course archives of pgsql-bugs and pgsql-patches are the ultimate unless you
plan to delve into CVS history and sources..

> Also have anyone tryed to compare the new transaction model in MySQL 4.x
> to PostgreSQL ?

Check this.. http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/ANSI_diff_Transactions.html

To me, it seems that their definition of transaction is limited to preventing
two guys writing to same row simaltenously, which is of course a limited view
of things.

Few major differences I can see right here. Correct me on mysql side.

- WAL log
- Transactabl DDLs
- Nested transactions coming soon to PG
- PITR coming soon to PG

I would love to see entire checklist but don't have any time to devote to
mysql.

Bye
Shridhar

--
Vulcans never bluff. -- Spock, "The Doomsday Machine", stardate 4202.1