Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: claus <ch(at)greenmail(dot)ch>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III
Date: 2003-08-15 12:38:49
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

claus wrote:

>I just stumbled over some other things that seem more likely
>to be feature requests :-)
>
>View Data:
>Column sort order change by clicking on the column header
> works in pgadmin II but seems to be absent in pgadmin III.

Data is NOT held in the grid, but on the server, and only retrieved when
requested, so sorting would require a re-query.

>Ctrl-Shift-End does not work nore does Ctrl-Shift-Home
>All of the cursor based selection fetures seem to be strange.
> e.g.
> try from 1/A selecting 4 cells down (4/A)
> then ctrl-shift-curs right ... surprinsing :-)
>
> try from 1/A ctrl-shift-curs right,
> page down (w/o any other key)
> use shift-cursor up ontil the first line
> amazing :-)
>
>Copy / Paste does not work in Data Output Frame
> neither keyboard nore right click nore edit menu even
> though the menu items are selectable. :-(

Only the contents of edit controls is copyable/pasteable. What should
happen after you selected some cells? There's nothing you could do with
that. If you say "copy to clipboard" I'd ask "which format"? There's no
reasonable format for table or multi column data. And we probably won't
implement private MS Excel clipboard formats.

>Could there be an option to copy the column headings ?

Again: which format? Nothing senseful around. We have the Export
function, which has quite some options to satisfy different format
needs. None of them is sufficient for clipboard purposes.

>Query Tool:
>No Ctrl-A ... (Ctrl-.Shift-End works)

Ctrl-A works where it makes sense, in the query edit field.

>Clicking in the upper left table cross does not select all the table.
>Copy / Paste does not work in Data Output Frame
> neither keyboard nore right click nore edit menu even
> though the menu items are selectable. :-(
>Could there be an option to copy the column headings ?
>
>Just one question for my own curiosity:
>Why dont yous use the same code for both grids?
>Ok one is editable but at list selection and navigation
>behaviour could be the same.

They serve different needs. EditGrid implementation doesn't hold the
data, while the output of the Query Tool holds this data itself. The
grid isn't good in keeping much data (it's becoming really
slooooooooow), that's why it's implemented as listview.

Regards,
Andreas