Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III

From: "Claus Helbing" <claus(dot)helbing(at)descom-consulting(dot)ch>
To: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III
Date: 2003-08-15 13:22:34
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Andreas Pflug wrote:

>Data is NOT held in the grid, but on the server, and only retrieved when
>requested, so sorting would require a re-query.

Hmm ... you are the developper ... but since I can scroll up and down ...
I guess the data is on the client somewhere?
Also the button refresh and the status line "Refreshing data, please wait"
indicate that data is tranfered to the client.
Since it is on the client (in a grid or another datastructure)
couldn't it just be sorted localy ?

>>Copy / Paste does not work in Data Output Frame
>> neither keyboard nore right click nore edit menu even
>> though the menu items are selectable. :-(
>>
>Only the contents of edit controls is copyable/pasteable. What should
>happen after you selected some cells? There's nothing you could do with
>that. If you say "copy to clipboard" I'd ask "which format"? There's no
>reasonable format for table or multi column data. And we probably won't
>implement private MS Excel clipboard formats.

Of course not ... I thought of a tab-separated format with \t and \n
placeholders for actual tab characters and linefeeds in the strings.
MS Query seems to do it that way eventhough I do not know how it
handles linefeeds and tab characters.

>>Could there be an option to copy the column headings ?
>>
>Again: which format? Nothing senseful around. We have the Export
>function, which has quite some options to satisfy different format
>needs. None of them is sufficient for clipboard purposes.
Idem.

>>Query Tool:
>>No Ctrl-A ... (Ctrl-.Shift-End works)
>>
>Ctrl-A works where it makes sense, in the query edit field.
I would use it to select the all the result in order to copy it
using the tabseparated format :-)

BTW if no copying of data is allowed so what is the cell selectiuon
thing about. Row high lighting makes sense to make it easier to look
at the line while scrolling to the horizontly

>Regards,
>Andreas

Regards,
Claus