Re: Autoconf options

From: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autoconf options
Date: 2003-06-20 16:33:52
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

>${PGHOME}/lib will still be used to find libpq.a I assume?

Yes.

>OK. Don't forget stc and xrc - that's what I had to fix this morning (it
>was good pratice!) :-)

Of course. :-)

>>DEPRECATED:
>>
>>--enable-wx-gtk2 Compiles against the gtk2 version of wxWindows
>>

>Should we deprecate this yet? How long has GTK2 been fairly standard?

Deprecated because it will automatically be detected.

>>--enable-wx-unicode Compiles against the unicode version of wxWindows
>>

>Yes. GTK2 should imply Unicode. I see no reason why you might want GTK2
>without it.

Same situation here.

>This would require modification of the symlink to switch between release
>and debug versions of wxWindows which should certainly have the same
>headers. I agree having multiple versions of WX is bad in general (and
>if you're clever enough to do it, you should be able to fix the
>resulting mess), but debug & release versions should be permitted imho.

Okay, I will add the --with-wx-config=FILE option so that a wx-config
file can be specified explicitly. This should allow side-by-side
linking against debug and release. Without that option specified,
release will be the default, and debug will be linked against in
--enable-debug is passed. One question, what if the symlink wx-config
points to a debug version of wxWindows, but they don't specify
--enable-debug or --with-wx-config. We would then link against a debug
version of the wx library, but release versions of stc and xrc. Do we care?

ahp