Re: Autoconf options

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Autoconf options
Date: 2003-06-20 16:20:12
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

OK.

> --with-pgsql=DIR Same as above, except configure searches
> for pgsql in
> /usr, /usr/local, and /usr/local/pgsql

OK.

> --with-pgsql-include=DIR Explicitly specify the pgsql
> includes directory

${PGHOME}/lib will still be used to find libpq.a I assume?

> --enable-debug Compiles a debug version of pgAdmin3. This will
> override CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS and pass "-g -Wall -O0" to both of them,
> ensuring no optimization code is used.

OK.

> --enable-static Compiles a static (as static as possible, that is)
> version of pgAdmin3. This will pass a --static and --static-glibc
> option to the linker, to link against libc statically (this
> really won't
> do much, but it doesn't hurt). This will also link against static
> version of pgsql and wxWindows.

OK. Don't forget stc and xrc - that's what I had to fix this morning (it
was good pratice!) :-)

> DEPRECATED:
>
> --enable-wx-gtk2 Compiles against the gtk2 version of wxWindows

Should we deprecate this yet? How long has GTK2 been fairly standard?

> --enable-wx-unicode Compiles against the unicode version of wxWindows

Yes. GTK2 should imply Unicode. I see no reason why you might want GTK2
without it.

> --enable-wx-release Compiles against the release version of wxWindows

Yes, should be default now, with the --enable-debug implicity requiring
the debug version of wx.

> --with-wx-config=FILE Explicitly specify which wx-config
> program to use,
> full path not necessary

See below.

> COMMENTS:
>
> Here are my comments about the above options. I, personally,
> don't like
> the last four options, because they are only necessary when a
> user has
> more than one version of wxWindows on their box. I am *not* going to
> include them unless I hear otherwise, and here's why. If a
> user, or a
> developer, wants to compile against multiple version of wxWindows to
> test options, etc. (a perfectly reasonable situation), then they can
> compile and install wxWindows with different prefixes. So pass a
> different --prefix=DIR to the wxWindows configure, and then pass that
> directory to the pgAdmin3 configure with --with-wx=DIR, and pgAdmin3
> will compile against that version. Installing two different
> versions of
> wxWindows to the same prefix is probably bad news anyway
> (what if there
> are different versions of headers for Unicode? The old
> versions would
> get overwritten). I don't think it's necessary to support different
> versions in the same directory structure, and I see no need
> to do so.
> Correct me if I am wrong, but otherwise the pgAdmin3 configure will
> automagically detect which version of wxWindows you have
> specified and
> link accordingly.

This would require modification of the symlink to switch between release
and debug versions of wxWindows which should certainly have the same
headers. I agree having multiple versions of WX is bad in general (and
if you're clever enough to do it, you should be able to fix the
resulting mess), but debug & release versions should be permitted imho.

Regards, Dave.