Re: array support patch phase 1 patch

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: array support patch phase 1 patch
Date: 2003-05-24 13:47:53
Lists: pgsql-patches

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Joe Conway writes:
>>Attached is an updated version of the doc patch along with the addition
>>of two new functions, as previously discussed:
>>
>> - str_to_array(str TEXT, delim TEXT) returns TEXT[]
>> - array_to_str(array ANYARRAY, delim TEXT) returns TEXT
>
> Please use "string". No need to introduce a new abbreviation into the
> world of function names.

It's not new. We already have strpos and substr. But I'm not opposed to
using string_to_array and array_to_string if there's a consensus WRT
those names.

> Also note that "multidimensional array" is the correct spelling and
> preferred wording (not "multi-dimensional array" or "multi-dimesion array"
> [sic] or "multiple dimension array").

"multi-dimensional" is not incorrect by my dictionary, and most existing
examples of the word sprinkled throughout the source tree use this
spelling. Are you proposing that I change all of those too? Again, I'm
not opposed if there is general agreement, but we should at least be
consistent throughout.

In any case I'll correct "multi-dimesion" -- thanks for catching that
(new version of patch attached with spelling correction). I don't grep
"multiple dimension array" anywhere, so I'm not sure where you got that one.

Joe

# grep -r "multidimensional" *
contrib/cube/README.cube:CUBE, representing multidimensional cubes.
src/backend/utils/adt/arrayfuncs.c:
* successively in a multidimensional array.

# grep -r "multi-dimensional" *
contrib/cube/cube.sql.in:COMMENT ON TYPE cube IS 'multi-dimensional cube
''(FLOAT-1, FLOAT-2, ..., FLOAT-N), (FLOAT-1, FLOAT-2, ..., FLOAT-N)''';
doc/FAQ: single dimension. R-trees can handle multi-dimensional data. For
doc/FAQ_german: werden. R-Trees können multi-dimensionale Daten
abhandeln. Ein
doc/src/FAQ/FAQ.html: multi-dimensional data. For example, if an
R-tree index can be
doc/src/FAQ/FAQ_german.html: werden. R-Trees können
multi-dimensionale Daten abhandeln. Ein
doc/src/sgml/array.sgml: defined as variable-length multi-dimensional
arrays. Arrays of any
doc/src/sgml/array.sgml: Note that with this syntax, multi-dimensional
arrays must have matching
doc/src/sgml/array.sgml: multi-dimensional arrays.
doc/src/sgml/array.sgml: arrays, but <function>array_cat</function>
supports multi-dimensional arrays.
doc/src/sgml/array.sgml: use comma.) In a multi-dimensional array,
each dimension (row, plane,
doc/src/sgml/array.sgml: When representing multi-dimensional arrays,
the keyword
src/backend/utils/adt/array_userfuncs.c: * Form a
multi-dimensional array given one starting element.
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/preproc.y:
mmerror(PARSE_ERROR, ET_ERROR, "No multi-dimensional array support for
simple data types");
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/preproc.y:
mmerror(PARSE_ERROR, ET_ERROR, "No multi-dimensional array support for
simple data types");
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/preproc.y:
mmerror(PARSE_ERROR, ET_ERROR, "No multi-dimensional
array support for simple data types");
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/type.c:
yyerror("internal error, found multi-dimensional array\n");
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/variable.c:
mmerror(PARSE_ERROR, ET_FATAL, "No multi-dimensional array support");
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/variable.c:
mmerror(PARSE_ERROR, ET_FATAL, "No multi-dimensional array support");
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/variable.c: mmerror(PARSE_ERROR,
ET_FATAL, "No multi-dimensional array support");
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/variable.c: mmerror(PARSE_ERROR,
ET_FATAL, "No multi-dimensional array support");
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/variable.c:
mmerror(PARSE_ERROR, ET_FATAL, "No multi-dimensional array support for
structures");
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/variable.c:
mmerror(PARSE_ERROR, ET_FATAL, "No multi-dimensional array support for
simple data types");
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/preproc.c:
mmerror(PARSE_ERROR, ET_ERROR, "No multi-dimensional array support for
simple data types");
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/preproc.c:
mmerror(PARSE_ERROR, ET_ERROR, "No multi-dimensional array support for
simple data types");
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/preproc.c:
mmerror(PARSE_ERROR, ET_ERROR, "No multi-dimensional
array support for simple data types");

Attachment Content-Type Size
array-phase2.5.patch text/plain 73.7 KB