Re: Query Builder (PGA3)

From: Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query Builder (PGA3)
Date: 2003-04-13 17:34:10
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

>The one architectural change I can think of is to make Andreas' query
>engine and grid into a simple control that we can place on a form and
>pass a query to, and then to do exactly that with his query tool, and
>the QB.

Querying code is extracted to a wxListView derived ctlSQLResult class.
Most of remaining frmQuery::executeQuery() code deals with status
information, insuring updated display (wxYield) and performance
optimization (Freeze/Thaw).
Basically, it's:

ctl->Execute();
while (ctl->RunningStatus() == CTLSQL_RUNNING)
do other stuff or take a nap;

if (ctl->RunningStatus() == PGRES_TUPLES_OK)
while (stillDataAvail)
{
chunksize=100;
rowsReadThisTurn=ctl->Retrieve(chunksize);
}

msg=ctl->GetMessages(); // show in messages window
errmsg=ctl->GetErrorMessages(); // put in status line

>I don't know if you've tried it, but his code is lightning fast.

Thanks for the bunch of flowers! :-)

Regards,
Andreas