Re: [HACKERS] SQL99 ARRAY support proposal

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] SQL99 ARRAY support proposal
Date: 2003-03-13 05:34:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> Hmm. I don't see why we should drag ANY into this --- it should just be
> a no-constraints placeholder, same as before. What's the gain from
> constraining it that you don't get from ANYELEMENT?

[...snip...]

>> XXX should this case be rejected at the point of function creation?
>
> Probably. This case could be handled just as well by declaring the
> output to be ANY, I'd think.

[...snip...]

> Likewise. The point of (this reinterpretation of) ANYARRAY and
> ANYELEMENT is to let the parser deduce the actual output type.
> If it's not going to be able to deduce anything, use ANY instead.

Here's a new patch with the above corrections. I'm sending it to patches
in hopes it can be applied now rather than waiting. I think it stands
alone (shy some documentation, but I'm good for that ;-)) and makes
sense regardless of the other array support issues.

Thanks,

Joe

Attachment Content-Type Size
array-gen.5.patch text/plain 15.9 KB