Re: Installing Postgres on Windows (2000 Pro).

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Paul Linehan <plinehan(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing Postgres on Windows (2000 Pro).
Date: 2003-03-07 23:41:13
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Paul Linehan wrote:

> Paul Linehan <plinehan(at)yahoo(dot)com> a écrit:
>
>>I have just started messing around with Postgres
>>and I have downloaded PgSQL731wina1.exe (11MB)
>
> I ran this programme and a whole lot of stuff
> was installed by the programme and now the
> service IPC-daemon runs automatically on startup.

Hi Paul,

There should be a service called "PostgreSQL Database" (or similar) that
auto-starts as well.

If it's not starting automatically, that's generally caused by the
presence of a "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\postgresql.pid" file at
startup. That file should only be present while the server is running,
and stops PostgreSQL from starting up afresh if it's already there.

It's a bug with the present "Proof of Concept" for Windows PostgreSQL
build, as it's not being removed when PostgreSQL shuts down. :(

> What do I have to do next to get Postgres to
> work on my system? I have looked around but
> cannot seem to find documentation on this
> type of install.

This installation package is really just an easier-to-install version of
the cygwin PostgreSQL version, and you may be better off looking at that
as it's better tested. There are at least two known serious bugs with
the Proof of Concept build (caused by library files that are needed but
that are missing).

> Do I run cygrunsrv.exe? I have tried following
> paths and things, but just can't seem to figure
> it out.
>
> I downloaded the PGAdmin tool also, but I don't
> even think that the thing is even running just
> yet.

You'll need to enable TCP/IP communication too, and that's explained on
the PgAdmin site. :)

Hope this helps.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift