Re: ident sameuser failure

From: Stephen Harris <sharris(at)concepts(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ident sameuser failure
Date: 2003-02-27 01:00:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

Well, I'll be ...

I changed postmaster to log to a file, but that didnt reveal much.
I upped the syslog vebosity to debug in identd.conf and added an entry
daemon.* /var/log/postmaster.log in syslog.conf.
Then as user sharris I did:
psql -h workbench -d testuserdb -U testuser
While doing tail -f /var/log/postmaster.log
I saw
Feb 27 00:47:05 freeflight identd[20989]: reply to 192.168.0.141:
36458, 5432 : USERID : OTHER :504
So that got me wondering, does the U switch work?
So I su - 'ed testuser and did
psql -h workbench -d testuserdb
I saw
Feb 27 00:49:53 freeflight identd[21082]: reply to 192.168.0.141:
36465, 5432 : USERID : OTHER :testuser
And was given the database shell.
Testusers uid on the client is 1293 and on the server is 501.
However, as soon as I stop identd it stops working.
So you were right, it all comes down to identd, but the U switch in psql
should of worked?
Perhaps I should make the uids match?
Many thanks
Stephen.

Computer Concepts Limited
25 Leslie Hills Drive
PO Box 8744 Riccarton
Christchurch, New Zealand

Phone: +64-3-348-2500
Fax: +64-3-343-7569

Notice of confidential information:
The information contained in this e-mail message is
confidential information and may also be legally privileged,
intended only for the individual or entity named above.
If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any use, review, dissemination, distribution
or copying of this document is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this document in error, please
immediately notify the sender by telephone and destroy the
message. Thank you.