Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

From: Ben Clewett <B(dot)Clewett(at)roadrunner(dot)uk(dot)com>
To: "Todd F(dot) Peterson" <tfp(at)ncgr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.
Date: 2003-02-17 16:47:31
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi Todd.

I like the installation. Espeicailly the size, being less than MySQL,
SAP and definitelly less than any MS SQL server. That's not hard, but
I'd worry if it was :)

I've been playing with your files trying to get them into Install
Sheild. Although it's easy to get the program to put everything in the
right place, I'm not sure what to do now, post-loading.

Do you call you mount-directories.bat first? Is this where cygwin
learns where root and all else is?

Then I would guess you'd run your install.bat. This would be run using
bash.exe?

DOS> bash.exe install.sh

This is a one-time executable. On boot of the PC, another script would
be needed to restart the server again?

Is there anything more which cygwin would need to correctly initiate?
You mension stuff for the Registry for instance?

My registry only shows valid data in: 'My
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Mounts v2\'
Where it lists the current mount points.

Also, I ask as I have no idea, it might be nice to isolate this
instalation in a safe area away from the users main 'cygwin' stuff.
Like, as InstallSheild would prefure, in c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL
where the /bin /tmp /usr could be built. If this could be set as the
root in cygwin, AND not conflict with any other cygwin which might be
running on the system. Sort of like UML with Cygwin, UMC...

This would have the advantage of InstallShield not messing up the users
own installed Cygwin, and also the user installing Cygwin messing up
PostgreSQL?

If this was possible, then an entire instalation could be embedded into
a 2Mb image which could be (as I want) attached to an application for
download over the Internet.

Regards,

Ben Clewett.