Problem with move not returning number of rows affected [was: error when using move, any suggestions?]

From: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Noel <noel(dot)faux(at)med(dot)monash(dot)edu(dot)au>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with move not returning number of rows affected [was: error when using move, any suggestions?]
Date: 2002-12-24 17:01:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Noel,

I now understand why this is failing. The following code in
QueryExecutor.java is having problems:

if (status.startsWith("INSERT") || status.startsWith("UPDATE") ||
status.startsWith("DELETE") || status.startsWith("MOVE"))
{
update_count = Integer.parseInt(status.substring(1 +
status.lastIndexOf(' ')));
}

The code is expecting the server to return the keyword MOVE followed by
the number of rows actually moved. And on all tests on my databases
this is always true, move is followed by a number. However from the
information you have provided, it seems that on your database the server
is just returning MOVE without the row count. At first pass this
appears to be a bug in the server. What platform are you running on?

Now the driver could be changed to handle this case, but I'm not exactly
sure what no value in this case should mean? perhaps 0?

I am cc'ing the hackers mail list to see if perhaps I misunderstand how
the protocol between client and server is supposed to work in this case.

thanks,
--Barry