why we need both the collector & buffer process

From: William(dot)Jiang <jiang_sir(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)cn>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: why we need both the collector & buffer process
Date: 2002-12-25 07:15:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

hi,all hackers of postgres

when postmaster start as a service . another two processes(collector & buffer ) start their work at the same time.

I have read the code and I am wondering why we need two processes to do the work. I think one process can work as well. Are there something special you considered when you developed this feature?

Best wishes!

William