Re: Pg_dump uses up RAM and swap space

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Szabó Roland <szroland(at)mithrandir(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pg_dump uses up RAM and swap space
Date: 2002-11-28 23:38:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Roland,

Szabó Roland wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Reading the archives I understand this is a problem of postgres version
> prior 7.1, and I'm experiencing the very same error as Steve Riley
> reported last month. I saw that the suggestion was to use 7.2, but I'm
> not sure you meant dump 7.1 database from 7.1 backend using 7.2 pg_dump.
> We have approx. 1.5 Gb of data in a 7.1 database, and would not like to
> loose it, but cannot dump it with 7.1.

Well, just to make sure you're safe, before testing anything you should
at least make a backup of the entire PostgreSQL $PGDATA directory (*with
PostgreSQL not running!*).

That way, if anything does go wrong, you can always copy this backup
into place and um.. try again (but differently of course).

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> If this is the way to go, please