Re: Pg_dump uses up RAM and swap space

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Szabó Roland <szroland(at)mithrandir(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pg_dump uses up RAM and swap space
Date: 2002-11-28 23:14:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 12:13, Szabó Roland wrote:
> Reading the archives I understand this is a problem of postgres version
> prior 7.1, and I'm experiencing the very same error as Steve Riley
> reported last month.

I searched the archives but I couldn't find the bug report you're
referring to.

> I saw that the suggestion was to use 7.2, but I'm
> not sure you meant dump 7.1 database from 7.1 backend using 7.2 pg_dump.
> We have approx. 1.5 Gb of data in a 7.1 database, and would not like to
> loose it, but cannot dump it with 7.1. If this is the way to go, please
> confirm that.

Given that I can't see the original report you're referring to, that's
not a lot of information to go on -- can you provide enough information
to reproduce the problem, or at least elaborate on exactly what it going
wrong?

(BTW, you should be able to use a 7.2 pg_dump to dump a 7.1 database.)

Cheers,

Neil