Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources
Date: 2002-11-27 08:41:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27 Nov 2002 at 8:21, Al Sutton wrote:

> The problem I have with VMWare is that for the cost of a licence plus the
> additional hardware on the box running it (CPU power, RAM, etc.) I can buy a
> second cheap machine, using VMWare doesn't appear to save me my biggest
> overheads of training staff on Unix and cost of equipment (software and
> hardware). I've been looking at Bochs, but 1.4.1 wasn't stable enough to
> install RedHat, PostgreSQL, etc. reliably.

I have been reading this thread all along and I have some suggestions. They are
not any different than already made but just summerising them.

1) Move to linux.

You can put a second linux box with postgresql on it. Anyway your app. is on
windows so it does not make much of a difference because developers will be
accessing database from their machines.

Secondly if you buy a good enough mid-range machine, say with 40GB SCSI with 2G
of RAM, each developer can develop on his/her own database. In case of
performance testing, you can schedule it just like any other shared resource.

It is very easy to run multiple isolated postgresql instances on a linux
machine. Just change the port number and use a separate data directory. That's
it..

Getting people familiarized with unix/.linux upto a point where they can use
their own database is matter of half a day.

2) Do not bank too much on windows port yet.

Will all respect to people developing native windows port of postgresql, unless
you know the correct/stable behaviour of postgresql on unix, you might end up
in a situation where you don't know whether a bug/problem is in postgresql or
with postgresql/windows. I would not recommend getting into such a situation.

Your contribution is always welcome in any branch but IMO it is not worth at
the risk of slipping your own product development.

Believe me, moving to linux might seem scary at first but it is no more than
couple of days matter to get a box to play around. Untill you need a good
machine for performance tests, a simple 512MB machie with enough disk would be
sufficient for any development among the group..

HTH

Bye
Shridhar

--
My father taught me three things: (1) Never mix whiskey with anything but
water. (2) Never try to draw to an inside straight. (3) Never discuss business