Re: Looking for a "Linux on Playstation 2" person to compile

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Chris Boget <chris(at)wild(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Looking for a "Linux on Playstation 2" person to compile
Date: 2002-11-19 13:47:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Chris Boget wrote:

> > Now, we just need someone with the Linux for Playstation 2 kit to
> > compile the RPM's so they can be added.
>
> I ask this not because I'm trying to be trite but because I honestly do
> not know.
> Why would you want this? What can you do with pgSQL (or any other
> rdbms) on the Playstation 2?

That's ok.

The short answer is to give people using Linux on the PS2 a database
option, as there presently don't appear to be any alternatives for them.

A side benefit is that we could possibly leverage it for
advocacy/marketing purposes, depending if that would be useful. :)

i.e. "PostgreSQL announces support for the Sony Playstation 2" type of
press release, or just for pointing out how scalable we can be. Same
software, same API's, same interfaces, etc for PS2 -> 100+ CPU mission
critical powerhouses, etc.

:-)

As a humorous note, saw a guy on their mailing lists asking if Oracle
would work... ;-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Chris