Re: optional package?

From: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Mauro Mozzarelli <mauro(at)EzPlanet(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: optional package?
Date: 2002-10-30 18:03:43
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Mauro,

Mauro Mozzarelli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After the latest CVS update, I have been unable to create the driver with the
> "org.postgesql.jdbc2.optional" package that is always omitted.
> What am I doing wrong?

Have you followed the instructions in the documentation? You can access
the current beta docs for the 7.3 drivers from
http://developer.postgresql.org.

> Moreover, can I make a request to move the "optional" into the standard
> package? In fact what is here called "optional" is necessary in order to
> connect to pgsql from an EJB running in an application server (I am testing
> with Websphere). As a general architectural best practice rule we wouldn't
> even want to access the database directly from a JSP/Servlet, but only from
> an EJB module.

No this should stay in the optional package. This code is not part of
the jdbc2 specification, but it part of an addon to jdbc2 for j2ee. The
standard package is for the standard jdbc2 spec. In jdbc3 sun has
changed this so that it is all in one spec. So if you look under the
jdbc3 code you will see that there it is in the standard package.

thanks,
--Barry