Re: [HACKERS] Large databases, performance

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Large databases, performance
Date: 2002-10-04 16:30:47
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance pgsql-sql

MVCC = great ...
I know that is not row level locking but that's the way things can be
explained more easily. Many people are asking my how things work and
this way it is easier to understand. Never tell a trainee about deadlock
detection and co *g*.

I am happy that the PostgreSQL core team + all developers are not like
Monty ...
I am happy to PostgreSQL has developers such as Bruce, Tom, Jan, Marc,
Vadim, Joe, Neil, Christopher, etc. (just to name a few) ...

Yes, it is said to be better than it was but that's not the point:
MySQL = Monty SQL <> ANSI SQL ...

Believe me, the table will turn and finally the better system will succeed.
One we have clustering, PITR, etc. running people will see how real
databases work :).

Hans

--
*Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig*
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria