Re: Threaded Sorting

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Threaded Sorting
Date: 2002-10-04 16:25:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Threads are bad - I know ...
I like the idea of a pool of processes instead of threads - from my
point of view this would be useful.

I am planning to run some tests (GEQO, AIX, sorts) as soon as I have
time to do so (still too much work ahead before :( ...).
If I had time I'd love to do something for the PostgreSQL community :(.

As far as sorting is concerned: It would be fine if it was possible to
define an alternative location for temporary sort files using SET.
If you had multiple disks this would help in the case of concurrent
sorts because this way people could insert and index many tables at once
without having to access just one storage system.
This would be an easy way out of the IO limitation ... - at least for
some problems.

Hans

--
*Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig*
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria