Re: New PostgreSQL Tool available : pg_autotune

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: New PostgreSQL Tool available : pg_autotune
Date: 2002-09-22 15:55:06
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> > Have been putting together a tool called "pg_autotune" for automatically
> > tuning a PostgreSQL database (either local or remote). It does this by
> > repetitively benchmarking PostgreSQL (using Tatsuo's pgbench code) with
> > different buffer settings, then fine tuning those settings depending on
> > the results returned.
>
> You should have chosen a better foundation. pg_bench is notorious for
> producing results that are (a) nonrepeatable and (b) not relevant to
> a wide variety of situations. All it really tells you about is the
> efficiency of a large number of updates to a small number of rows.

Hi Tom,

You're totally right about this. Have been forced to ensure that each
client connection does a minimum of 200 transactions per connection,
etc, just to get anything in the way of reliable results.

It's just that this started out as playing around with pgbench, then
grew from that. However, it's been put together so that other tests can
be added easily, and it doesn't even have to use Tatsuo's pgbench code.

Was thinking of asking Andy Riebs if we'd be ok to use his OSDB code, as
we'd need him to ok this in order to have it still be under the BSD
license.

> I'd take the results with a large grain of salt.

It takes the inaccuracy of Tatsuo's pgbench code into account.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> regards, tom lane