Re: logging hook for database audit

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logging hook for database audit
Date: 2009-09-11 06:13:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I can see the potential value of per-destination minimum message
>> levels,
>> so maybe you should just propose that. But this is a bad place for a
>> hook.
>
> Features I tried to implement are following:
>
> * per-destination minimum message levels
> * per-destination log line prefix
> (syslog has their own prefix, but stderr has no default prefix)
> * per-category minimum message levels
> (don't write sql logs in syslog, but can write other LOGs)
>
> I'll take a direction to make them into some pieces of core patches.

I have been working with josh tolley that changes some infrastructure
around this, with one of the future goals to be able to implement just
this kind of features. I need to merge some changes from josh, and
will then try to post a wip patch as soon as possible. Please look at
this one before you start working on this - probably theoverlap will
be very large.

/Magnus