Re: Accessing PGSQL

From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Vikram Sulakhe <sulak001(at)bama(dot)ua(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Accessing PGSQL
Date: 2002-09-10 13:29:58
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Vikram Sulakhe wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is there a way to execute a SQL query directly from a Win NT machine, on a
> pgSQL database that is remotely installed?
>
> I tried using CRecordset Object to connect to this remote pgSQL database.
> But if I have a very large database (say 10,000 records), then searching for
> a particular record takes lot of time as we need to traverse through all the
> records in CRecordset.
>
> I can use m_strFilter property of CRecordset, but then I have to open the
> database again and this is also very time consuming process.
>
> So I am looking for a quick way to locate a particular record in a
> collection of say 10,000 records.
>
> Is there a work-around for this?

I'm not sure you need a work around and 10,000 records is not very large. I
have a few databases with well over 10 million records, and I would consider
these moderately sized.

First of all, you seem to be confusing ODBC with a database class library. They
are not the same.

From an ODBC perspective, one could execute SQLExecDirect(...) to execute a SQL
query.

There could also be an issue with your query needing an index, but that may be
a different matter.