Re: bytea operator bugs (was Re: [GENERAL] BYTEA, indexes

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvar Freude <alvar(at)a-blast(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bytea operator bugs (was Re: [GENERAL] BYTEA, indexes
Date: 2002-08-19 18:29:56
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-patches

Joe Conway wrote:
> Back on the pattern selectivity issue. With some more study I can
> clearly see what you were referring to. Dragging string length through
> the maze of function calls that would need it would be a mess.
>
> In the longer term (i.e. not for 7.3) it might make sense to create a
> set of pattern selectivity functions, just for bytea, that are careful
> to avoid the null-terminated string assumption. But, for now, I'm
> leaning toward restricting the right-hand argument of bytealike to TEXT,
> as you suggested.

As suggested by Tom, this patch restricts the right-hand argument of
bytealike to TEXT.

This leaves like_escape_bytea() without anything to do, but I left it in
place in anticipation of the eventual bytea pattern selectivity
functions. If there is agreement that this would be the best long term
solution, I'll take it as a TODO for 7.4.

I'll look around the docs to see if there is someplace where a note wrt
this is appropriate.

If there are no objections, please apply.

Thanks,

Joe

Attachment Content-Type Size
bytealike.2002.08.19.1.patch text/plain 5.1 KB