Re: Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items )

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items )
Date: 2002-08-01 05:40:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > * libpqxx is not integrated into build process nor docs. It should
> > be integrated or reversed out before beta.
> I've requestsed that Jeorgen(sp?) move this over to GBorg ... its
> something that can, and should be, built seperately from the base
> distribution, along with at least a dozen other things we have bloating
> the distribution now :( but at least that one hasn't been integrated yet

Actually, I'm not sure we should target one particular feature to be
left out, unless we have folks who are willing to do the planning,
design, and implementation of a "sliced and diced PostgreSQL" in a
consistant and solid way.

Until we have folks who are excited enough about it to plan it out and
do the work, piecemeal rejection of components is not leading to a more
solid product.

The developers have made the commitment to have consistant and
functional builds across all packages in the main distro. We have no
mechanisms to do the same if the sources are coming from a bunch of
different areas.

Frankly, a 9MB tarball is not in the bloat category in my book. Ask me
about the CORBA package I use that takes 3.5GB to build!!

- Thomas